Visas for Exporters to the U.S.

Israeli companies that export to the United States may not be aware of the fact that there is a visa category available especially for the purpose of expanding and enhancing their trade to the U.S. The E-1 Visa Category is intended for Israeli Companies who export goods or services to the U.S. If the export is continuous and significant this visa might be available to the Exporting Companies wishing to send employees to the U.S. for extended periods of time in order to continue and expand their trade to the U.S.

Much has been written and reported in the Israeli media on the E-2 visas to the U.S. for Israeli Citizens interested in making investments and relocating to the U.S. to develop and direct their investment. In fact, the relevant legislation was enacted in the U.S. more than a year ago, but since the category is based on a Bilateral Treaty, the relevant legislation must also be enacted in Israel. Since one of the conditions of the Investment Treaty Visa is based on Reciprocity – there could be many hurdles before the necessary legislation and regulations are adopted in Israel.

The E-1 Visa Category on the other hand has been available to Israeli Citizens for many years and is based on a 1954 Treaty of Commerce between Israel and the U.S.

The visa category enables a company owned and controlled by Israeli Citizens to send suitable Israeli Citizen employees to the U.S. to carry on trade between the two countries, as an employee that that company. The employee/s may be accompanied by their spouses and children under 21 on Derivative Visas. The Derivative Visas do not authorize employment in the U.S., however after entering into the U.S., the Spouse may request an Employment Authorization Document from the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Children accompanying their parents in the E Category can attend public schools.

In order to qualify for this category both the (the ultimate) Owners of the Company and the Employee/s must have Israeli Citizenship – and neither shall be U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.

Any questions? Contact us